During the Spanish-American War in 1898, two men from Utah who were members of the United States artillery battery, and who were also set apart as missionaries by the Church before they left the United States, preached while stationed in the Philippines. Missionary work ceased in the Philippines at the beginning of World War II and resumed again two decades later.
On 28 April 1961, Elder Gordon B. Hinckley traveled to the islands and met with a small group of American residents, servicemen and Filipino members. He officially opened the islands for missionary work. By 1967, the work had progressed to the point where the Philippine Mission was organized.
In 1969, the Church had spread to eight major islands and had the highest number of baptisms of any area in the Church. The Manila Missionary Training Center was established in 1983. In 1990-91, Church relief efforts helped with the damage caused by major earthquakes, flooding, volcanic eruptions, and governmental conflicts. Membership in 1984 was 76,000 and 237,000 in 1990.
Mormon Helping Hands Respond to Philippine Flooding
Rains Pound, Flood Victims Increase in Manila
|Total Church Membership||675,166|
|Family History Centers||167|